THE HISTORY AND RESTORATION OF THE GATEHOUSE LODGE
The Gatehouse Lodge was built as the Lodge to the entrance of Easton Hall, a grand Victorian country house demolished in 1951. Home to the Cholmeley Family since 1592, the Hall was requisitioned by the Army during World War II. It suffered considerable damage during occupation by the Parachute Regiment leading to it being deemed beyond repair after the war. The adjacent Gatehouse, dated 1841, is thought to have been designed by the architect, Anthony Salvin.
The remaining buildings on the site of the old Hall were listed Grade II in 1987 and spent several years on the highest level of the Heritage At Risk Register. Many of these buildings have been restored over the past 25 years and now form the core of Easton Walled Gardens.
The restoration of The Gatehouse Lodge was started in late 2015 and was finished at the end of March 2016, with our first guests arriving in April of that year.
The photographs show the ‘before and after’ condition of the Lodge.